BC Wood is pleased to invite US based PNW architects to attend an exciting new event “Tall Wood and Beyond” as part of this year’s Global Buyers Mission (GBM).
Tall Wood and Beyond tour will be held on Thursday, September 8, 2016 and was developed specifically to educate Architects, Contractors and Engineers on mass timber construction options and provides an excellent opportunity to not only learn about mass timber products, but actually see them under construction and in use.
Brock Commons, located on the campus of the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, BC is currently under construction and when completed in early 2017, will be the tallest hybrid wood construction building in the world.
You are invited to tour this structure (and others on the UBC campus) and meet with the architects and engineers that designed it and the fabricators and builders constructing it.
The UBC tours begin a three-day event in Vancouver and Whistler that is filled with educational and social programs.
The most extraordinary and comprehensive three-day learning opportunity for mass timber construction ever offered to designers and specifiers
- Private tour of the 18-story Brock Commons, the world’s largest wood building
- Private tours of a spectrum of mass timber structures at the University of British Columbia, the epicenter of innovation in mass timber construction
- Private tour of the iconic Audain Art Museum in Whistler, BC led by John Patkau, the design Architect of Whistler’s newest world class attraction
- Interact with the design team of every visited building
- Participate in the WoodTALKS Programs and social events at the world class Global Buyers Mission in beautiful Whistler, BC
- Earn AIA learning units
To REGISTER now, please contact email@example.com
TALL WOOD & BEYOND ITINERARY
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH: UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, VANCOUVER, BC
In partnership with Structurlam Products, North America’s leader in mass timber fabrication, BC Wood presents a tour that will immerse you in mass timber technology:
- Breakfast with introductions and program overview
- Site tours of mass timber structures:
- Brock Commons and the adjacent ‘Living Lab’ – Learn about this game-changing structure from the owner, architect, structural engineer, and construction manager
- UBC Student Union Building – Meet the architect of this advanced hybrid structure
- UBC District Energy Centre – Explore a landmark example of industrial CLT structures in North America
- Wesbrook Community Centre – Tour this spectacular facility with exposed glulam and CLT
- Virtuoso – Visit and learn about the 300,000 square foot, light wood frame and mass timber hybrid structure – the future of multi-family residential
- Lunch & Learn Seminar: CrossLam Design Guide and Mass Timber Testing.
- Learn the basics of designing in CLT using Structurlam Products’ new CrossLam Design Guide,
- Witness live destructive tests to support the design specifications for CLT developed at FP Innovations (Canada’s premier wood products laboratory)
- Travel to Whistler, BC
- Welcome Reception at the Roundhouse atop stunning Whistler Mountain
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9TH: WHISTLER, BC
- Hot Buffet Breakfast
- Trade Showcase
- Lunch & Learn Seminar: Material Operations. Presenter John Patkau, Principal, Patkau Architects (1 LU/HSW*)
- Exhibitor Mini-Seminar Series (1.75 LU/HSW*)
- Site Tour: Audain Museum, with design Architect John Patkau (1 LU /HSW*). The Audain Museum is an iconic 55,230-square-foot museum that houses a unique collection of British Columbia art in Whistler Village
- Reception at the Audain Museum
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH: WHISTLER, BC
8:30 AM Transportation to Vancouver
Or stay another days programming for no additional charge:
- Hot Buffet Breakfast
- Trade Showcase
- Lunch & Learn Seminar: Carbon, Construction and COP 21 – What designers need to know about wood and carbon, with WoodWorks educator Peter Moonen (1 LU/HSW*)
- 2:00 PM Transportation to Vancouver
* Total Potential Credits: 4.75 LU/HSWs; AIA approval pending